Discover the best time to hike the inca Trail
To enjoy the best time to travel the Inca Trail, you need to know what the ideal season is so that your journey is pleasant, as well as safe.
Also, you must take into account which season is the least crowded, because it is one of the most famous roads in Peru and even in the world, there are many who want to know about it; For this reason, in this article we will tell you what is the best time to travel the Inca Trail, what its seasons are like according to the month and we will give you some recommendations so that your visit is enjoyable.
Best time to Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
The three months that go from June to July are considered the best time to walk the Inca Trail, without a doubt, this is because it is a season where rain is not a determining factor in the area; therefore, it is unlikely that it will rain.
However, if in addition to the good weather, you want to avoid crowds on your tour, then there are two ideal months for it, which are May and October; but not only that, you also have more possibilities of finding offers for hikers, remember that only two hundred permits for the route are sold per day and many are sold months in advance.
Inca Trail in wet season
The wet season in this territory lasts approximately five months, ranging from November to March, not recognized as the best time to walk the Inca Trail, because those who dare to do this tour in these months should know that it can rain suddenly, even though it doesn’t look like it’s going to rain. In addition, the trails are often wet, there may be landslides and the walk is difficult.
Due to this climatic condition, where temperatures oscillate around 12 degrees Celsius, it is necessary for hikers to prepare even more and take waterproof clothing with them, even to change at some point along the way.
However, not everything is negative, because, although the weather is not very mild during these months, nature is still incredible and will give you a very beautiful misty view.
Remember that this tour is a bit long and requires that those who travel it have good physical condition, therefore, as a recommendation, we suggest that before doing the tour you arrive in Cusco several days in advance so that your body gets used to the temperature of the área.
Advantages of the wet season on the Inca Trail
● You will be able to make your tour with pleasant temperatures.
● There are usually fewer crowds.
● The prices of the tours are usually lower.
● You run less risk of not having tickets for days.
● The vegetation is usually abundant and of marvelous colors.
Disadvantages of the wet season on the Inca Trail
● It is very likely that along the route you will have to stop while the rain stops, because there may be a risk of landslides.
● You must carry more weight because it will require changing your clothes and shoes constantly due to the rain and humidity in general.
● When camping at night there can also be torrential rains and low temperatures.
● You will not have a clear view of the surroundings or of the archeology of the place, because for this season it is usually cloudy.
Inca Trail in dry season
The best time to hike the Inca Trail is the so-called dry season, which runs from April to September, where you will have views of the area completely clear, both in the morning and in the afternoon.
At night the temperature can drop even to zero degrees Celsius.
Advantages of the dry season on the Inca trail
● All the way you will have a clear path and amazing views that you will be able to photograph without any complications.
● It will not be necessary to carry more weight, since there will not be as many changes of clothes due to humidity.
● You will enjoy the fauna and flora of the place in all its splendor and it is likely that you will run into the cock of the rocks, see in the distance the imposing spectacled bear, the beautiful wild cats or otters.
● You will observe archeology in its entirety.
● Your photos will be wonderful and colorful.
Disadvantages of the dry season on the Inca trail
● The walk can become suffocating and therefore will be a little more tiring.
● Throughout the nights there can be very intense cold that can cause colds and discomfort.
● There are more pests and mosquitoes in general.
● There are crowds, not only for the hikes, but also at the camping sites.
● The winds, in the afternoon hours, can be very strong.
● There are usually problems to reserve, since many of the tickets are sold out even one year in advance.
Recommendations to enjoy the route to the Inca Trail according to the season
There are certain things that you must take into account, regardless of whether it is the dry or rainy season, such as hiking boots, warm clothes for camping nights, waterproof clothing, hiking bag, plastic bags to place wet clothes, medicines, flashlight, hygiene items, your valid passport, and your identity documents.
In addition, to enjoy the best time to travel the Inca Trail, it is best to hire professional guides on the tour and prepare your body beforehand, especially in terms of heights and climates similar to those experienced in Cusco.
● Definitely, this is not the best time to walk the Inca Trail due to the rains, so you should bring waterproof clothing and a bag.
● You must bring a rain poncho.
● Gloves and hats so you can protect yourself from the rain.
● The most important thing is to book with Inca Trail months in advance, so you will avoid missing out on this experience and you will have your permission to tour the place secured.
● Bring warm clothes, since, although it is known as the best time to walk the Inca Trail, it is also true that at night temperatures can approach zero degrees Celsius.
● Wear sunglasses and a hat to protect yourself in some sections of the path.
● Don’t forget to bring water.
● Bring insect repellent, as well as sunscreen.
The Inca trail is one of the most beautiful destinations in the world and for this reason, many people visit it. The best time to walk the Inca Trail depends on your tastes, because, although the dry season is considered to be better than the rainy season, each one offers you different advantages for sightseeing.
In addition to this beautiful destination, Peru has other places where you can enjoy your vacations such as Salkantay, Ausangate, the Rainbow Mountain, the Humantay Lagoon, and Machu Picchu that you can visit through our tours.
Do you want to know more details about our guided tours? Contact us and we will provide you with all the information!