El 3 Days Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu is one of the most spectacular treks you can do in Peru. This trekking route is located in the north of Cusco and is an incredible adventure that allows you to enjoy spectacular views and pass through a number of different climate zones.
Day 1: Cusco – Soraypampa – Salkantay Pass – Chaullay.
Early in the morning (4:30am) we’ll pick you up from your hotel, and transport you to Soraypampa (3850 m). We stop briefly for breakfast, be sure to look out your window for spectacular views of Humantay and Salkantay Mountains. After introducing ourselves to the group, we’ll prepare for the trek and start out steadily uphill to the pass (4650m/15,255 ft). You’ll be impressed by Salkantay and the surrounding Andes. Upon arrival at the pass, we’ll be very close to the base of the mountain where we’ll have some stunning views. Afterwards we’ll follow a rocky serpentine trail down to the village of Huayracmachay and we’ll have lunch. In the afternoon, we descend further into a lush tropical ecosystem, the high Jungle; the temperature increasing as we go.
L , D Meals10 HOURS Walking Time24 KM / 14MILES Walking DistanceCHALLENGE Level of Difficulty3900 MASL / 43215 FEETS Starting Altitude4620 MASL / 14653 FEETS Highest Altitude
- Starting point elevation: 3,500 m
- Campsite at Challway (2900 m /9,514 ft)
- Meals: L, D
- Accommodations: sleeping tents
- Maximum Altitude: 4650 m
- Minimum Altitude: 2900 m
- Walking distance: 22 km to Chaullay
Day 2: Chaullay – La Playa – Santa Teresa – Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
At 6:00 am. we will start our trek to La Playa through the Santa Teresa valley. We’ll hike approximately 6 hours passing waterfalls and wild orchids, we’ll also see coffee, banana and avocado plantations. We’ll take a moment to taste Peru’s delicious passion and granadilla fruits before moving on to a village called Colpapampa, also called the “forest cloudy brow,” where waterfalls, hot springs, fruit-bearing trees, varied birds and plant life can be observed. If we’re lucky, we’ll see the famous cock of the Rock, Peru’s national bird. Today’s lunch will be at La Playa then afterwards we catch our ride to the Hydroelectric train station.
Here you will have two options:
1) If you’re tired, you can opt for the train to Aguas Calientes.
2) If you are still eager to trek you may walk from the hydroelectric plant to Aguas Calientes for about 3 hours along the train track. Once in Aguas Calientes we will check in to our rooms to get some rest or explore the town at your leisure; then at 7:00 pm we’ll meet for dinner at a local restaurant.
B , L , D Meals10 HOURS Walking Time29 KM / 18 MILES Walking DistanceCHALLENGE Level of Difficulty2900 MASL / 1050 FEETS Starting Altitude2900 MASL / 1050 FEETS Highest Altitude
- Walking Distance: 26 km/16.1 Mi
- Starting Elevation: 2750 m/9022 ft
- Campsite Elevation: 1600 m/5249 ft
- Difficulty: Easy
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Accommodation: Hostal
- Adventure: Absolutely
Day 3: The Big Day – Machu Picchu!
After an early breakfast, we will board the bus which will take us to the most mysterious city of the Incas, Machu Picchu. As part of our itinerary the same professional guide from the Salkantay trek 3 Days / 2 Nights will teach you about all the history of this mysterious and inspirational place. We will visit the Sun Temple, Royal Palace, Main Temple, the Temple of the Three Windows and the Intihuatana sun dial. You’ll have an unforgettable experience. After the guided tour, we’ve left some free time for you to explore on your own.
If you have booked the Wayna Picchu hike, you’ll need to coordinate with our guide regarding your scheduled time to take this additional hike. For people not hiking Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, there are other optional activities you can do on your own:
- Hike to the Sun Gate: You will have an opportunity to walk (approx. 2 hours up and down) up to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) to see Machu Picchu from a different angle.
- Trek to the Inca Bridge: The Inca Bridge offers a dose of adrenaline and while not a strenuous trek it is death defying as the trail is very narrow with steep drops and not for people with vertigo.
Return to Cusco; in the afternoon, you will return to the train station in Aguas Calientes for the trip back to Ollantaytambo. Upon your arrival to train station you will be transferred by car to your hotel in Cusco.
B MealsJUST BY BUS Walking TimeJUST BY BUS Walking DistanceEASY Level of Difficulty2000 MASL / 9643 FEETS Starting Altitude2400 MASL / 1050 FEETS Highest Altitude
- Meals: Breakfast
- Lowest Elevation: 2,040 m/6,691 ft
- Highest Elevation: 2,440 m/8,052 ft
- Pre-trek briefing with your guide
- Professional local trekking guide
- Second tour guide for groups of 9 or more
- Private transportation and professional driver (to the starting point of trek at Soraypampa)
- All entrance tickets and permits for Salkantay Trek and Machu Picchu Citadel
- Horses or mules and indigenous horsemen to carry camping equipment, client tents, dining and cooking tents, table, stools, cooking gear, stove, gas container, cutlery, plates, food and fresh vegetables
- Train ticket from Machu Picchu Pueblo to Ollantaytambo Village (Expedition Tourist Train)
- One trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu Citadel
- Guided Machu Picchu tour (3 hrs.) plus personal time at the citadel
- Porterage up to 7 kg/15 lb. (you just need to carry your daypack with everything you will need during the day)
- 1 nights camping
- Spacious tents / sleeping mat
- 1 night lodging in Aguas Calientes
- 1 duffle for personal items.
- 1 Cook
- All meals on the trek (2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 2 Dinners)
- Food includes pancakes, omelets, soups, fresh fruit, avocado, pasta, chicken, fish, meat, rice, all rich in carbohydrates and suitable for trekking (vegetarian, vegan or special diet meals upon request)
- Tea time before dinner (tea, coffee, cocoa, biscuits, popcorn)
- Boiled water provided from day 2 (for drinking)
- Wake up coca tea in your tent
- Daily hot water for basic washing in your tent
- Biodegradable soap and hand cleansing gel
- Cusco Journeys & Adventure uses walkie-talkies on all treks
- Oxygen tank & first aid kit
- All local taxes
Does Not Include
- First breakfast & lunch on the last day
- Optional Wayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain tickets (US$75)
- Optional hot springs (S/15.00 Soles)
- Sleeping bags
- Train Ticket From Hydroelectric to Aguas calientes town (US$38)
- Extra activities such as zip line and barbecues
- Additional horses for extra personal luggage above that of the personal item allowance
- Train or hotel upgrades
- ** Tips for porters, cooks or guides.
Prices: Salkantay Trek 3 Days
Permits are needed for your chosen start date. Trek prices are based on the number of people in a group. Prices are valid from March 2022 through January 2023. All prices quoted are $USD
Group Price:$479USDPer person
* We need a minimum of 3 people to run the tour in group service. We guarantee that your tour will be limited to a maximum of 8 people.